St Martin's Lane
Urban stability is almost unknown. True, a white pencil of devotional architecture stands where it did in 1726, but the fields which surrounded the site of its predecessor in the thirteenth century have been repeatedly built upon. We see a 1960s office with trendy bowed front. now accommodating a Macdonalds on the ground floor; next year's offering on the altar of the Architects' Institute wrapped in red plastic; a 1930s red telephone box; two trishaws, for heaven's sake; shops open after 5pm. Where will it all end?